Oh my word! Dinner tonight was heaven. I was inspired by one of my favorite dishes at a local Thai restaurant and the fact that we had leftover chicken in the fridge. I worked with what I had in the pantry and it turned out wonderful!
I used the leftover chicken breast meat from my “Crispy Chicken” I made the night before. I had about 2 cups of chicken leftover. I make “Crispy Chicken” almost every week because it’s delicious and then I can make bone broth with the leftover bones in order to make black bean soup for the hubby (which he eats as part of his lunch every weekday).
If you don’t have pre cooked chicken, just sauté some chicken up in the wok before you cook the rest of the veggies.
- Veggies of your choice! I used fresh zucchini from the garden, frozen broccoli, frozen cauliflower, frozen snap peas, frozen peas, fresh spinach, fresh carrots (chopped), fresh bell pepper (chopped). My hubby said the only thing that could make this dish better would be chopped tomatoes and mushrooms.
- 2 cups pre cooked chicken. You can use more or less if you like. (I had leftovers from “crispy chicken” the night before. You could also sauté up some chicken before you cook all the veggies if you don’t have any cooked already.)
- about 4 ounces coconut aminos (I used about half the bottle of an 8 ounce bottle)
- 2 TBS coconut oil (I buy Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions. However, if you are trying coconut oil for the first time and are looking for a less expensive brand you may want to try this brand from amazon.com. Tropical Traditions is by far my favorite brand though.)
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk (I got mine from Trader Joes with nothing added)
- 1 cup chicken or beef bone broth (I used chicken since it’s what I had on hand)
- 2 TBS coconut cream concentrate ( buy mine from Tropical Traditions)
- 1-2 tsp sea salt to taste (you can add more or less if you like)
- 4 TBS curry powder (I used salt free hot curry powder from azure standard)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- a dash of cloves
- Soak pre cooked chicken in coconut aminos in a bowl in the fridge. I soaked mine for half the day. If you don’t soak it that long it’s not a big deal. You will be using the excess coconut aminos in the recipe so you will still get the flavor.
- Turn your stovetop to medium/high. In a large wok sauté your veggies in 2 TBS of coconut oil. I placed my frozen veggies and chopped zucchini in first because they take longer to cook. Then I added all my other veggies. Sauté on med/high until the veggies are cooked thoroughly to your liking.
- Add coconut milk, chicken broth, coconut cream concentrate and all your spices to the wok and mix everything while it cooks.
- Lastly, add your chicken with the coconut aminos it was soaked in to the wok. Cook until everything is nice and hot.
- Remove from heat and serve into individual bowls.
My husband and son ate his over organic brown rice. I ate mine without rice. I also added a little cayenne pepper to my bowl because I like it spicy. It was fantastic!
Here was my bowl! And yes, I had seconds. 😉
*Some of the above links are affiliate links. Click here to learn more about affiliate links.