Friday Arm Workout plus What I Ate Today
Today is shoulder day! I thought I would throw in some bicep work since I have had time to rest since my last bicep workout when I lifted back/biceps on Tuesday. I like to give myself at least 2 days in between body parts when I can to allow full recovery or each muscle group.
Today’s workout was partially inspired by “My Trainer Carmen’s” circuit workout I found on her Instagram page. I had already hit triceps the other day so I took that out and added some lifts of my own. So here is how my workout went down.
- Warm up: dynamic stretches and warm up exercises (running and high knees on the trampoline) followed by jumping jacks, butt kicks etc…
- Then I warmed up my shoulders with light dumbbell weight shoulder press.
- 10 lb dumbells x 20 reps
- I followed that with heavier weights (20 lb dumbbells).
- I did 3 sets of 10 with the 20s.
- Then I got into my “Carmen inspired” circuit.
(I started off at a slow pace on the treadmill before working into sprints.)
- Here is the circuit I did:
- 30 seconds sprint on treadmill
- Wide curls with 10 lb dumbbells (20 reps)
- Curl press then slow release to the side with 10 lb dumbbells (15 reps) (These are a curl into a press, then I slowly brought the weights down to the side with my arms straight to give my shoulders an added workout)
- Standing upright dumbbell rows with 10 lb dumbbells (20 reps)
- Drop side laterals with 5 lb dumbbells (15 reps) (These are just side lateral raises but you keep your arms up and drop one side at a time-keeping the other side up)
- Standing rear delt fly then upright front raises with 10 lb dumbbells (12 reps) (These are just 1 bent over raise followed by an upright front raise counting as 1 rep)
(I repeated this circuit 3 times.)
- I then burnt out my biceps with resistance band curls 3×20
- Then I cooled down with 5 min on the elliptical.
- Lastly, I did a slow static stretch routine.
Here is what I ate today.
For breakfast I drank some warm lemon water. Then I had the usual groats with berries, 1 TBS mix of chia seeds, ground flax seed, and hemp seeds, cinnamon, and fresh grated ginger, with a walnut crushed on top. I also ate some eggs with spinach (cooked in coconut oil) over zucchini and a little homemade tomato sauce.
After my workout I ate 2 of my protein brownies (the ones I recently made by subbing groat flour for the oats and used fresh ground cacoa powder that I ground up in my coffee grinder.) I also had a 1/2 can of tuna (that has no soy and no refined salt) with sweat peas, 1/4 cup cooked brown rice, organic mustard, and a couple fermented pickles. I know this is a REALLY weird combo but I love it. SO good!
I also munched on a few carrots and strawberries while preparing my kiddos lunch. My son offered me a “strawberry ring” when he proposed to me today so how could I resist? 😉
A few hours later I was hungry so I ate 2 more protein brownies, a little bit of plain greek yogurt mixed with 1/2 scoop of raw whey protein, a little liquid stevia and vanilla extract (no high fructose corn syrup added), and a TBS of homemade almond butter.
Tonight for dinner I will eat 2 turkey meatballs on zucchini with homemade tomato sauce. It’s spaghetti night for the hubby who has a softball tournament so that’s my alternative. I have zucchini coming out of my ears so I always have a batch of “zucchini pasta” on hand.
If I get hungry at night I might munch on some eggs for protein and some carrots (my go to late night snack).
So that’s it. A great workout and clean eating today! It’s my husband’s birthday on Monday so I know we will be eating out this weekend and I’d like to relax and enjoy some bbq ribs from Famous Dave’s. Mmmm I can taste them already… almost.
Let me know if you have any questions about any of the exercises or where I get any of the food I eat.
AND, if you are looking for more exercise ideas check out bodybuilding.com’s exercise guide.
Thanks everyone and Happy Friday!!
*Some of the above links are affiliate links. Click here to learn more about affiliate links.