Instant Pot Creamy Low Carb Veggie Soup
I have been obsessed with split pea soup so I wanted to make a recipe with a similar warm creamy taste but lower in carbs.
So here is my new lower carb veggie soup in my beloved Instant Pot. If you divide this recipe into 5 servings you get about 5.6 net carbs per serving.
This soup has fantastic flavor and texture. Even my son begs for more!
- 2 bags frozen cauliflower defrosted overnight (or one large head of fresh cauliflower)
- 3 handfuls (about 3 cups) of fresh spinach
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk (make sure there are no added ingredients-just coconut and water)
- 2 TBS coconut oil
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 cups filtered water or optional and even better you can use bone broth!
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3 cloves minced garlic or I just throw in a tsp of garlic powder when I’m out of fresh
- Chop your celery and cauliflower. Tip: I like to defrost my frozen cauliflower in the fridge the night before so that it chops easily. Otherwise be careful not to cut yourself as it’s difficult to chop frozen veggies.
- Place celery and spinach in the Instant Pot with 2 TBS coconut oil and 3 cloves of minced garlic. Put on sauté mode and sauté for a minute (be careful not to burn the garlic) until the spinach is cooked down.
- Add the chopped cauliflower to the Instant Pot and mix.
- Add coconut milk and water (or broth).
- Add all your seasonings to the instant pot and mix.
- Put the lid on your instant pot.
- Make sure to turn the pressure nob to the “seal” position.
- Set the manual setting to pressure cook on HIGH for 15 minutes. It will take 45 minutes total for cook time PLUS depressurizing afterwards. If you would like to speed up the process a little you can use the quick release when it’s done cooking. Be very careful to keep your hands and face and other body parts away from the release valve as you quickly switch it to let out the hot steam (if using quick release). Otherwise just wait for the pressure seal to drop and it will be ready.
- After taking the lid off your Instant Pot turn it off. Allow the soup to cool slightly.
- Then take your emersion blender and blend the soup until it is smooth. Be VERY careful not to splatter the soup with the blender as it may be very hot.
I like to add cayenne pepper (since I like everything spicy) and more garlic since I love garlic to my bowl. The kiddos aren’t such a fan of spicy which is why I leave it out until I server myself. You can also add coconut oil or grass fed butter if you need more healthy fats in your macros when following a keto diet.
If you are not doing low carb you can always use less coconut oil in sautéing your veggies if you like. But coconut oil is a fantastic healthy fat.
Here are the macros for those who are counting (this doesn’t include broth so adjust accordingly if you use bone broth):
Macros for one serving (makes about 5 servings):
5.6 net carbs
Macros for the ENTIRE recipe (so that you can divide it however you like):
18 g protein
41 g carbs
28 net carbs
*Some of the above links are affiliate links. Click here to learn more about affiliate links.