Lamb and Mashed Cauliflower Bake
Oh my! These photos do not do justice to this new dinner that is now one of our favorites. I wish you could smell… and taste this dinner to know it’s worth trying at your house tonight! The ground lamb, rosemary, and thyme paired with mashed garlic cauliflower make for the perfect dinner. There are also green beans in this one so you are getting in lots of veggies. It’s also keto and paleo friendly since this dish is grain and dairy free and low in carbs.
- 1 head of fresh cauliflower or 2 bags frozen cauliflower
- 1-3 TBS of full fat coconut milk (from the can: check ingredients to make sure it’s JUST coconut and water. I get mine from Trader Joes)
- 1 tsp plus more sea salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp plus more pepper (to taste)
- garlic powder (to taste)
- 1 TBS grass fed unsalted butter
- 2-3 cups of frozen green beans (depending on how many you want)
- 1 TBS coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp dried onion (about 1 tsp) You could also use fresh but this is all I had on hand.
- 1 lb of ground lamb (you could double this and add more seasonings if you want to feed more mouths)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 3 cloves fresh garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup bone broth (preferably beef or chicken)
- 1 farm fresh egg
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- If using a full head of cauliflower chop it into pieces and place in a steamer. If frozen, just place those pieces from your 2 bags in the steamer. Steam until soft but not too mushy. Once cooked, run cool water over cooked cauliflower and set aside.
- In a pan add 1 TBS coconut oil, and green beans. Cook these on med/high heat for a bit then add onions and garlic. Be careful not to burn the garlic and onion (I add them in towards the end so not to burn them). Cook till done but not totally mushy-they will cook more in the oven.
- Set the green beans aside.
- In a medium sized pot brown your ground lamb. Once it’s browned add the green beans, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp rosemary, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 cup bone broth and mix.
- Spread out the lamb and green bean mixture onto a large Pyrex or casserole dish.
- Now take the cooked cauliflower and place in your food processor (you could use an emersion blender too if you don’t have a food processor).
- Add 1 TBS butter and blend. Then add coconut water until you get your desired consistency. You want it to be like mashed potatoes. It will be a bit thinner because it’s cauliflower but you don’t want it watery.
- Add sea salt, pepper, and garlic to taste. I like LOTS of garlic personally.
- Scoop the mashed cauliflower on top of the lamb in your dish then spread evenly.
- In a small bowl beat an egg and spread it out on top of the cauliflower. I like to use a silicone brush for this. Then sprinkle some sea salt and pepper over the egg on top.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Allow it to cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
There you have it! Good carbs from veggies, healthy fats, and protein all in one meal.
If you love lamb as much as I do you will absolutely love this dish!
Feel free to comment or ask questions in the section below.
*Some of the above links are affiliate links. Click here to learn more about affiliate links.