Make it Clean Monday: Egg Muffins
Just a warning… I will be rambling a bit so if you just want the recipe for egg muffins go ahead and scroll down past my intro. I wont be offended… really.
At this very moment I am wrapped in my fuzzy blanket, typing on my laptop, in a beautiful log cabin in the country somewhere in Minnesota. I say somewhere because I literally have no idea where I am. My friend drove us here and I paid no attention to where we were going. I am on a “Faith Crafters Retreat” this weekend.
I am enjoying 3 full days (Friday morning to Sunday night) of fellowship, worshiping the Lord, “crafting”, and relaxation with some amazing ladies, while my loving husband is taking care of the kiddos at home. I went on this trip for the first time last year and it was so refreshing I signed up immediately for the next year.
So here I sit enjoying the things that possibly only a mother could appreciate as much as I do at this very moment:
- “Sleeping in”: yeah, so I only slept till 6:30am today but then I read in bed and fell asleep again till 7:30. It was amazing! I didn’t have to wake and make breakfast for anyone else. In fact, someone else made breakfast for all us ladies. What a treat!
- A shower without the interruptions of “Mom! He has more playdough than me!” or “Mom! Look at this!” followed by “Sweety, I’m in the shower. I will be out in 5 minutes to see what you did.” Don’t get me wrong, I love being wanted and needed but it’s nice to just stand in the warm water of a shower with no time restraints and no responsibilities.
- Which brings me to… No schedule or responsibilities. The most I have to keep track of this weekend is what time dinner will be prepared for me and what time we will be meeting for worship.
- Being able to craft and blog without interruptions.
- Talking all I want with my closest friends.
- And reading a good book (or 2) without the previously stated child interruptions.
The only drawback to being at this cabin is the plethora of decadent sugar filled treats sitting on the food table available for all to eat. Before I started eating clean, I would have gorged myself on these goodies. I am all or nothing when it comes to will power. So this weekend to keep myself from splurging on some food items that would make me feel yucky the next day I packed a bag full of healthy and yummy snacks that wouldn’t leave me feeling sick the following days.
I brought with me:
- Greek yogurt with chia seeds, almond butter, and hazelnut chocolate sauce
- Just Mango (dried mango from Trader Joes with no sugar added)
- My favorite nuts and seeds (almonds, pistachios, and sunflower seeds)
- Pre made salads
- and egg muffins
I like to eat right away in the morning and the ladies here usually don’t eat till brunch so I made these egg muffins for the trip. They were SO simple I may just make them for mornings at home to make my morning routine quicker.
I just beat 12 eggs in a big mixing bowl with coconut oil, salt and pepper.
I then added my favorite veggies (spinach and peppers). You can use any vegetables or fixings you like. I bet my hubby would love these with bacon.
I then used a measuring cup to scoop the mixture into cupcake liners in my cupcake pan. I found these awful looking orange cupcake liners on super sale at Target. And I added some grass fed cheese curds I picked up at our local food co op. I usually don’t eat much cheese but thought I would “splurge” since I was bringing these to my retreat.
After baking at 350 degrees for 30 min they turned out perfect.
Here is a printable recipe:
My weekend ended with me avoiding all sugar filled treats. However, I may have eaten my weight in cheese (oops).