Taking Time to Relax: A Detox Bath How To
Today I am on day 3 of a cold and it’s gotten to where I had to cut out the cardio in my fitness routine so that I don’t make my lungs feel worse. So yesterday was stretching only but today I was getting stir crazy so I lifted shoulders and biceps and did some ab work.
I know, however, that I need to take time to relax as well or I will never get over this cold. I made sure to stretch really well after my workout today so that my body would easily get back to recovery mode. Then I took a nice long detox bath while the kiddos were in quiet time.
This is how it went…
I’m pouring bath water and my 6 year old son yells from across the way (in his room). “What are you doing mom?!”
Me: “I’m taking a bath.”
My son: “Really?” (laughs in disbelief)
Me: “Yes, really.”
My son: “Adults take baths? Like, you are going to sit down in the bath tub?”
Me: (laughing) “Yes, when adults find the time to relax they take baths.”
I obviously don’t take “me time” baths around here very often.
But when I do this is what I use in my detox bath…
- 1 tsp of vitamin C powder
- 2 cups of Epsom salt
- essential oils of choice (I used Young Living Frankincense, Thieves, Copaiba, Peppermint and Panaway)
Directions (yes there are directions but they are simple):
- Fill your tub with water and add 1 tsp of vitamin C. Not only is vitamin C great for the immune system but it also will neutralize the chlorine and ammonia in the tap water if present (it’s often used to treat city water).
- Add the essential oils to your Epsom salt before adding the salt. Essential oils and water don’t mix well. If you let the salts soak in the oils first then they will distribute better into the water.
- Add your Epsom salt infused with essential oils of your choice into the water and mix with your hands until they fully dissolve.
- Enjoy your bath! The longer you stay the more relaxing and more therapeutic the oils and salts will be.
Reasons I chose the following Young Living essential oils for my bath today:
Frankincense: supports well-being and normal cell health so it’s a wonderful oil to use when you are under the weather.
Thieves: used for overall wellness and support of the immune system.
Peppermint: supports the optimal functioning of respiratory system
Panaway*: supports the circulatory system, along with muscles and joints, and also aids in maintaining normal cellular function.
*If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult a health professional prior to use. Not intended for children under the age of 6 without the advice of a health professional.
Copaiba**: supports your body’s natural response to irritation or injury, helps regulate the body’s natural immune response, sooths minor physical discomfort and enhances other essential oil’s benefits.
**If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult a health professional prior to use.
Since I have had sore achy muscles and quite the cough these essential oils were a powerhouse of help for my aches and pains today.
There you have it! My detox bath. Do you ever take “me time”? I know that I often forget to keep the “mental” part of me healthy. I love to eat well and work out but fitting in relaxation is the piece of the “health puzzle” I struggle with the most. But this month I not only got in a massage (thanks to a thoughtful Christmas gift my husband bought me), but a detox bath as well. Two things that this busy mama considers a luxury.
What are your favorite ways to relax? Do you find time for yourself? If you use essential oils, what are your favorites? Feel free to comment in the section below!
*Some of the above links are affiliate links. Click here to learn more about affiliate links.