Tart and Tangy Cashew Berry Topping
It’s the 4th of July so I had to make something red white and blue. This one was a little more tart than sweet so my kids were not a fan. I however, could have eaten the cashew topping by the spoonful.
Topped on any red and blue berries make it a festive treat for the 4th. I happened to have blueberries and strawberries on hand but you could use raspberries, blackberries, cherries etc…
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 5 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea or Himalayan salt
- 1 TBS coconut cream concentrate (I buy mine from tropical traditions)
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil (I buy Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil from tropical traditions
1. Soak the cashews in some filtered water and a bit of salt for 1-8 hrs. Soaking for an hour will help make the cashews blend easier. Soaking for 8 hours or more in salt makes them easier to digest.
2. After soaking drain and rinse the cashews and throw them in your food processor. Process them until smooth.
3. Add in the rest of your ingredients (lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt, coconut cream concentrate, and coconut oil). You may want to use less lemon juice if you don’t want it too sour but I liked mine with 5 tsp of fresh squeezed lemon juice.
4. Your done! Serve on top of fresh berries or even some frozen blueberries if you don’t have fresh. Yum! You can store the extra in the fridge for a few days. I haven’t tried freezing this for later but you might be able to do so. Let me know how it turns out if you do.
Happy 4th of July!
*Some of the above links are affiliate links. Click here to learn more about affiliate links.