Today’s Workout Plus What I Ate: Leg Day at the Gym
Today was my first of 2 leg days this week! I have a love hate relationship with leg day. It’s a pain in the glutes (literally) but I love the feeling when I’m done and have accomplished such a difficult workout.
I try to hit legs twice a week since it’s a weak area for me. I also try to focus on my glutes at least one of the two leg days.
Today I got to use the gym’s newly remodeled free weight area. They just finished construction a week ago. I’ve been packed like a sardine with the rest of the lifters for the past month or so attempting to get a squat rack when I can. So today was heaven as I had a LOT of space and plenty of exercises to choose from.
Today I did all my lifts focusing on time under tension. I made sure to go slow and increase my time under tension. I focused on squeezing the muscle I was working rather than worrying about getting enough reps in. SO my reps varied a lot today more than other days.
Here is Today’s Workout:
- 10 min warm up walk on the treadmill
- Dynamic Stretches
- Wide Stance Sumo Bar Squat: I did 12 reps with just the bar to warm up
One of the best ways to warm up for a lift is to do the actual lift with lighter weights before hitting the heavier weights.
- I then added weights to the bar and did 5 sets ranging from 6 to 12 reps depending on the weight. I gradually increased the weight and decreased the reps as I went.
- Barbell lunge pulses: 3 x15 reps
- Leg extensions: 4 x 7-10 reps
- Leg curls: 4 x 7-10 reps
- Calf raises on leg press machine: 4 x 20
- Single leg glute bride: 3 x 10 each side
- Scorpions: 4 x 20 each side
- I ended my workout with static stretches and then a glorious 10 minutes in the sauna.
Here is What I Ate to fuel my body today:
I woke up and had my typical breakfast. Steel cut oats with berries, chia seeds, cinnamon and walnuts. I also ate some eggs for protein with spinach and salsa and bell peppers. I also added some turmeric and cayenne pepper to the salsa.
Mid morning I had a Spicy Turkey Nick’s Stick and some carrots sticks for a quick snack.
At about 2:30 (an hour and a half before my workout) I ate some of my favorite protein brownies.
I worked out at 4pm today with my husband at my gym.
After my workout I cooked up some eggs with a little ground beef, spinach, bell peppers and salsa with more turmeric and cayenne pepper. Turmeric is a wonderful spice that helps fight inflammation.
The kiddos had Wednesday night church so I was rushed to eat something quick.
Later that night I ate a turkey meatball salad and some Lesser Evil Himilayan Pink Salt Organic Popcorn (that I bought at Thrive Market) for added carbs after leg day. I usually don’t eat a lot of carbs at night but my body was begging for them after a leg workout. And I slept like a rock!
So there you have it! That was my workout and what I ate today.
I also took the following supplements which I take most days.
- One whole food women’s multivitamin
- 2 Astaxanthin (a supplement I’ve added to my daily routine because of it’s joint help and MORE)
- 2 fermented cod oil tablets ( I get these from Thrive Market)
If you have any comments or questions feel free to comment in the section below.
*Some of the above links are affiliate links. Click here to learn more about affiliate links.